Volunteer Campers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cumberland Mountain State Park

3 posters

Go down

Cumberland Mountain State Park Empty Cumberland Mountain State Park

Post  gwtriker Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:04 pm

Spent the weekend plus a few days at Cumberland Mountain State Park ... beautiful park, delicious restuarant, lots to do.  Stayed in loop 5 (site 122).  Sites in this loop are good sized, paved, fairly level and well spaced apart.  All have water and 50 amp service. No grey water catch drains.  Fairly new, clean bath house.

gwtriker

Back to top Go down

Cumberland Mountain State Park Empty Re: Cumberland Mountain State Park

Post  SouthWestyKim Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:31 pm

Take any pictures of your campsite?
SouthWestyKim
SouthWestyKim

Back to top Go down

Cumberland Mountain State Park Empty sorry no pics

Post  gwtriker Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:32 pm

Didn't think to take pics of camp sites

gwtriker

Back to top Go down

Post  Stovepipe Tue May 12, 2015 9:34 am

After spending a couple of nights at Cumberland Mountain this past weekend I think I may have a new favorite Tennessee state park.  Located about 15 to 20 minutes south of I-40, it's easy to get to and close to anything you might need for resupplying.  There is a stunningly beautiful narrow lake there with numerous hiking trails.  We hiked the Pioneer Loop trail (I believe that was the name) which went around the lake, crossing two bridges.  This was one of the best trails we've been on in a state park.  The plants and trees are diverse, there are great views of the lake, excellent secluded fishing spots and a rock outcropping that reminded me of the heath balds you find in the Smokies.  

There is a pool there and a restaurant but we didn't investigate those.  Apparently the restaurant had a buffet with all you can eat catfish, we'll have to eat there next time.  The campground is HUGE and has five areas.  We stayed in area 3 site 84.  Next time we will definitely reserve a site in area 4 though as in our opinion it was clearly the best loop.  Area 4 is very shaded, spaced out nicely, and bath house access is ideal.  This is a great campground for riding bikes and just about entire park can be biked or walked to from the camping area.  It appeared that they have done a number of renovations to the campground recently.  The electric pedestals were brand new and had 50 amp service.  The bath houses were perhaps the nicest, cleanest I've seen in any state park.  Also, I was surprised to see several sites with sewer drains.

I have very few complaints but they are worth noting.  There was some sort of machine situated up on a hill above areas 3 and 1 that turns on periodically.  The only thing I can figure is that it is a water pump and switches on according to water demand.  It is very loud and annoying.  I don't think it would be noticeable in areas 4 or 5.  The other notable issue, there is a fair amount of poison sumac and ivy around so scavenging for firewood is tricky.  There was also quite a bit of it growing along the initial overused part of the hiking trail.  Just a heads up.  Also I saw no playground in the camping areas aside from one older swing set that was missing most of its swings.  It's possible there is a playground over by the pool but we didn't drive up in there to check.

Overall it was a great trip and we've already flagged a weekend in June to return.  I highly recommend this one.
Stovepipe
Stovepipe

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down